I couldn’t remember the last time I traveled without looking like a bag lady. On this trip, I did things differently. I traveled light – a carry-on bag and my handbag. In my carry-on, I packed a pair of pants, two tops, a dress and two pairs of shoes. I didn’t pack any liquids or toiletries.
On my return flight from Spain to London earlier this year, I made up my mind I’d only travel within the weight and bag restrictions (I came to realize there was a reason why airlines gave bag restrictions – promoting hassle free travel). I refuse to get stressed over my luggage anymore.
There’s so much bliss in traveling light and it felt so good to experience this. One thing I learned from traveling is – you don’t need all the extra stuff. Keep your valuables at home – it eliminates the worry you get when you lose your bags, among so many other things.
Here are some of the joys of traveling light:
1. Very little airport hassle
2. You don’t look like a bag lady or guy
3. You avoid the long check-in lines
4. You don’t have to be at the airport 2 hours before
5. You feel light and good
6. The overall feeling is priceless
If you’re not sure how to pack light, here are some tips on packing for your trip:
1. Travel with your not so fancy clothes. You don’t need all the bling to have a great experience on your trip. Avoid traveling with your valuable items. If you have to, put them in your handbag. But be sure to bring your camera – you don’t want to forget to capture the memories.
2. For short trips, that is, 3-7 days, pack clothes for a 3 day trip and always travel with a carry-on bag. Drop the extra stuff, you don’t need it.
3. For longer trips, 2 weeks + – months, always pack clothes as though you were going for only 2 weeks. Again, drop all the extra stuff, the liquids, extra shoes. You won’t need them.
4. When you’re done picking out your clothes and packing, empty your suitcase and repack. Take out the extra items you can do without on the trip. You want to leave some space to accommodate things you buy at your destination
5. Don’t carry half a suitcase of toiletries. This was my weakness. I would dedicate an entire suitcase for toiletries – my face wash, lotion, shaving cream, Lysol, etc. Just travel with your essentials – facial wash and cream and whatever you can’t do without. Remember, you can always buy the not so important things at your destination.
Remember that a hassle free trip means more fun for you. What are your own travel hassle free tips? Share some on here
“Releasing The Burdens You Were Never Intended To Bear” – Max Lucado